Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Beginning

Wow, I can't believe I have started a blog. There are so many cruisers that use this as a way to keep their family and friends updated on what is going on in their lives. I chose the header "Into a New Horizon", not just because New Horizon is the name of our boat, but also because of what is happening in our lives right now, both here in the Bahamas and back home in upstate New York.

Right now I am by myself, swinging around on our mooring in Hope Town Harbour in the Abacos of the northern Bahamas. Dave has flown back north to Glenville to move from the house that we built ourselves and lived in for 31 years, over to the house that he grew up in next to our motorcycle shop. I would have gone to help, but between the the bad case of tendonitis in my knee (which I developed this summer while working on the Pashley Rd. house, which we call 'the ranch'), and the snow, cold and wood burning smoke up there, I opted to stay on board and be captain of my ship, instead of just admiral. I am also in charge of taking care of our friends' boat and run their generator to recharge their batteries that run their refrigerator. I'm sure I will elaborate on things like this in future postings.

While Dave has been in Glenville, he has had to deal with lots of snow, wind, and cold. One morning he couldn't even get out the door. Now though, everything is moved, but a bed, so he can still sleep in our house. Here in the Bahamas, it has been the 'bizarro' opposite of what he has had to deal with, with record heat and humidity. Needless to say, I am not complaining!

We have been truly blessed to have wonderful friends, neighbors, and family, both here and in Glenville, that have helped us immensely with moving, snow removal, meals, camaraderie, and helping me alone on the boat. What a support team we have and we cannot thank them enough. Even my mother in Florida has been instrumental this winter by taking care of our mail and bills.

This blog will be a work in progress, since I have never done this before, but so far, at least the posting is easy. I'll try not to bore you too much though.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the first to post in your Blog. Enjoy the sun and breezes. The wind chill the past few days has been frightful here in NH. It was 12 degrees this morning. In spite of having problems now with my other knee(it must be a family thing..Dad, you and me and Melissa!)I had Mark pull in the tree and put on the lights. I can do the lighted windows and things but we'll wait for Melissa to come back from CT and let her help with the tree decorating! Take care!-Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to create a blog like this. Looks like it is going to be a great site to go to and keep up on things with you. It's been great weather for us here in Daytona Beach. It's supposed to be 85 degrees here the next day or two. Ya gotta love Christmas time in Florida!!
    Have fun and be safe.
    Rick, Eva, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just finished a wonderful dinner Chris made for us, we are warm and drinking our wine. Check your email we are going to send you pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. carol---dave & I had great time on sunday @ pashley rd--your kinda will like the new furniture for your living room---see you both soon

    keith

    ReplyDelete