Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Powell Cay

Instead of waiting until I get back to Daytona, I am going to write two more posts for the blog about our adventures this past week. My internet connection is quite good right now and it will be a busy few days while we are visiting my family.

One day, while anchored at Manjack Cay, we decided to do some small boat explorations north of the island. We stopped for a picnic lunch at Powell Cay.
As we headed closer to shore we saw white birds flying erratically in the air. As we sat and watched, we realized we were seeing Tropic Birds with their gorgeous long tails. It must be mating season and they apparently had nests in the holes of the rock bluffs next to the beach. I must have tried taking about 50 pictures of these gorgeous white and black birds. Thank goodness for digital pictures and the delete button, because when I put them in the computer I ended up with about 5 good pictures and the rest were all just lovely views of blue sky! At least I did get a few good ones out of the bunch.


This is another island with nice beaches on both sides of it, and while I explored the bay side, Dave found a ‘jungle’ trail to the ocean.
He came back to get me and we both took the ¼ mile trail back over to the ocean side. I was really watching my footing while going over the rocks and even a marsh, but at one point I looked up to see an emerald hummingbird land on a branch in front of me. As I turned on my camera, he took off, but amazingly I got a picture of him in flight! If you click on the picture you can see it better.

I left Dave exploring the ocean beach and as I wandered back to the dinghy, I found a rather interesting shrine near a rock wall. In case the picture isn’t readable, it says Cathy Swedenborg loved this island, with her birth/death dates.

Then as I walked further there was a sign pointing to the Bluff Trail, which I couldn’t resist. The view from the top was spectacular and you could see all the way to Cooperstown on mainland Abaco.

Yes, that’s another tropic bird in the picture. It was quite a feat for me to get close enough to the edge to take these pictures of the water below, since I don’t like heights. Well worth the trip though.

On the trail back to safe ground, I came across this huge hermit crab in a tulip shell. I think he was getting as bit too big for this shell and it was time for him to find a new home.


Next stop Spanish Cay…

No comments:

Post a Comment