Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Treasure Cay

Every year the sailing club has a winter cruise to Treasure Cay on the mainland of Abaco. There is a large resort and marina here with its claim to fame of having one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.


It truly is a gorgeous place with lots of tropical plants and flowers and the 3 1/2 mile long beach is pristine.
It is even a popular place to get married, and I can understand why.

Although most of the club members go to the dock, Dave and I anchor New Horizon in the sea walled harbor, just outside the marina. Yesterday morning we woke to it being so calm that it looked like the water was frozen over.

When we looked over the side of the boat into the clear water, we saw two huge tarpon, about 5-6 ft. long, hanging out in our shade.


This was almost as exciting as having these dolphins in our bow wave leading the way to the resort. Naturally, as soon as I got my camera out, they disappeared. At least I was able to get one picture of them.


Since it was so calm, we decided to explore the mangrove marshes and creeks in the area by kayak. We went further than we usually do, so on the way back we decided to take a shortcut to the main marina basin. To our surprise, where there was once a bridge over the backwater canal, there is now just a backfilled road with culverts going through it for the tidal flow.

Being the adventurers that we are (and not to mention we were tired!), we decided to see if we could make it through the culvert. Talk about a tight fit?! Actually, I think what my exact words to Dave were, "You want me to do WHAT?"

There was barely enough water to float, and even though the tide was rising, once inside we even got stuck. Dave somehow climbed out of the kayak and crawled through, while I, laying almost flat on my back, hand-over-hand pulled myself and the kayak to the other side.

Dave got all scratched up with barnacles on the inside of the culvert walls, but once through, all we could do was laugh. Our first thoughts were, "WOW, will this make a good blog post!"

No comments:

Post a Comment