Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Catching Up

Yes, this blog still exists! I know it has been quite awhile since I have posted anything, but we have been busy with every day happenings. Here are some highlights from the past several weeks.

I have been helping build a new website for the sailing club, which is quite a feat. The old software is apparently outdated, and we have to change everything over to the new set-up by August. It is different from the blogs that I am used to working with, and very frustrating at times. Then suddenly there will be a breakthrough, so I keep working until my eyes feel like they are going to fall out of my head. Gee, I work on three websites, all a bit different...just like the three tractors that I drive! Maybe I'm not so uncoordinated after all.

I can't believe that a month has gone by and my mother is already back home in Daytona. The weather wasn't very good while she was here, but when we could get out and do yard work, we made up for lost time. Besides planting annuals, we removed almost all the old ferns from the front of the house, pulling them up by their deep seated roots. Then we planted lots of perennials in their place, and layed down red mulch to match the roof. What an improvement, and I've wanted to do this project for so long. Thanks Mom! Now I have to keep all our cute but pesky rabbits, woodchucks, and deer from munching on the plants. They have already tasted and love the hosta.





My sister Sue, and her husband Len, came to visit over the Memorial Day Weekend, and it was wonderful spending time with them. It was fun taking rides around the property in the horse cart and showing them everything we have done in the past couple of years, which is how long it has been since we have been together. While the family was together, we took the opportunity to visit several other of our relatives.

Cousin Mary, Uncle Don, Mom, and Sue.



Fooling around with Aunt Anne and Uncle Ken.



Here are some photos of my Uncle Ken's fantastic workshop. All the whirly-gigs work!







This past Saturday was the much anticipated antique and classic motorcycle show and swap meet at Rhinebeck, and it figures that it drizzled rain most of the day. I was going to go, but opted out with the dreary weather. Lisa, John, and Dave head out with their Honda CL90, Honda CL100, and Honda 305 that Dave rigged up as a police bike.



I wanted to put a sign on the trailer saying "Rhinebeck or bust!" John also brought along two classic bicycles to try and sell, but no takers. He brought them back for Dave's museum, but Dave fixed up the girl's bike for me to cruise the neighborhood. It is a quality Schwinn bike, but an ugly color, so we now affectionately call it 'Brown Betty'. Please go easy on my knees Betty.

At the swap meet, Dave found this three wheel bicycle that he wants to motorize. How to get it back to the trailer? Tow it, with the red light flashing! Note the cool copper fire extinguisher in the basket.



We finally spent two whole nights at the house in Ticonderoga this past weekend. Juggling time and weather, we have only gone up there for a few hours at a time to get the yard mowed, until last Sunday and Monday. We even got out on the water via SeaDoo and kayak. Let the summer begin!

It has taken awhile to get the problem sorted out, but finally the company that sent the wrong crank for the Ford 555 backhoe, has shipped out another one that is hopefully correct. Looks pretty on the work bench.



Now all Dave needs is the time to get it installed and see if Hercules will run again.



Today was another milestone with the arrival of the new wood chipper!



This machine will have its work cut out for it with all the downed limbs and trees in the woods, especially since Irene roared through last fall.



Here is a rare sight....Dave (or any man, for that matter) reading the directions!



Last, but certainly not least, is our growing collection of antiques and iron farm equipment. I think it's a great pastime, and we have the perfect yard for it...well, as long as Dave doesn't come home with something this big!



More 'iron' to follow in the next post!






No comments:

Post a Comment