Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pink Rules the Water Again

Finally the conditions were right for kayaking, all the while poor Dave was working.



I wanted to stay close to home, so I ended up at nearby Ballston Lake. It felt so good to be floating and paddling in my pink kayak again. However, this is a muddy and weedy lake and I'm not used to the brown color water.


In a search to find out exactly how long the lake is, I found this interesting information from Wikipedia:
"Ballston Lake, a narrow, 3.7-mile (6.0 km)-long lake in the south of the region, was called "Shanantaha" by natives. It was known to early white settlers as Long Lake. The lake was part of the Mohawk River during the glacial age and archeological digs have unearthed artifacts indicating settlement around the lake as early as 3,500 BCE."


There used to be lots of small camps on the lake, but it seems like most have been replaced by huge all-season houses. Gorgeous mansion under construction:


This one had 'every toy in the book', and a toy hauler too.


At least I did get to see some bird life in the bulrushes. Besides the usual ducks and geese, this heron was ready to pounce on an unsuspecting fish.


Then I snapped a photo of, what I think is a phoebe, hovering over the lilypads, ready to grab some insects for lunch.



Definitely a great first outing of the season!







No comments:

Post a Comment