Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sightings

Here are a few sightings I observed at MOW. Some are old, some are new, and some are just plain odd.

I've walked by this yard quite a few times, but never noticed this cute little kid...

I know there are lots of chickens and roosters around, but was surprised to see a goat! It was really friendly, so I hope they were raising it for its milk, not for meat.











These are two of the original houses that are still standing on the island...
They've definitely seen better days, but I bet there's a lot of history behind those closed doors.

 This is one of my favorite houses, especially with the landscaping overlooking the beach and ocean.
It has some great, but odd, hand-made yard ornaments, like this three headed creature...

She's back! The hummingbird that we watched two years ago, has returned to the same spot and built a nest on the wires. It looks so precarious!

More bird sightings:
 An Ani, which looks like a crow or grackle with a big bump on its beak. These birds are all over the Abacos, but rare in the United States. They have a very distinct call.

And here's one of my favorite water birds...an Oystercatcher on the rocks, with its bright orange beak.

  Did anyone lose a fender? Dave holds up this gigantic ship's fender that was washed up on the beach.

 The island's cemetery is really close to the beach...


I love the name of the house in the picture above...

And one of the best sightings of all is New Horizon floating calmly in the harbor.

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment