Thursday, May 9, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Sorry it has taken so long to write a post since leaving Daytona, but I have been quite busy since our arrival back north. We are finally starting to get settled in now.

Our plane trip on Delta was uneventful, and Dave did well in the wheelchairs provided by the airline for transport to and from the different gates. There was always someone to push him and that was especially helpful in Atlanta when we had to change planes and gates, and also in Albany when we had to get luggage too. Thanks to Jim, John, and Karl, our water and heating systems were up and running....not that we even needed the heat! It has been in the 70-80 degree range for the past week. What a nice surprise welcome! And welcomed we have been with so many friends stopping in to see us and to help out where ever needed. Kerstin and Kenny even collected the goldfish from their winter tanks at Jim's house and are back in the pond.

Vehicles are back running and on the road, and they have all had their turns at getting inspected and checked out. I mowed the lawn around the property for the first time today, after Paul and Greg fixed the starter motor that was seized up from mice that were living under the hood, using it has their toilet facilities! 

Stocking up on food is always a challenge when we return, because I have to start from scratch every year, with bare cupboards and fridge. Luckily, our friends have been bringing over food and it was four days before I needed to head to the store to stock up. Then it all ended up being free...sort of. With Dave's medical bills being paid with our Visa card, we have accumulated many points that I traded in for gift cards and that's how I paid for the food and consumables.

Dave is really happy to be back and just about lives on our golf cart. With the cushy seat and the ability to prop up his leg on the dash, he is all set for anything. He feels so helpless though, when problems such as the tractor not starting, happen. He alternates between using his crutches, a walker with a seat, his wheelchair (when he has to sit for any length of time), and today for the first time, he graduated to a cane. He hasn't felt steady or stable enough to use the cane until now. This was literally a monumental step! He has a doctor's appointment on the 23rd, so we'll see when the arm surgery can take place. Until then he'll keep improving his walking ability, rest up, visit, and patrol the property on the golf cart (the cane is good for picking up and throwing small branches too!). I still have lots of yard work to do, but it's great to be able to do it with the weather so nice. It's good to be home...

No comments:

Post a Comment