Thursday, June 19, 2014

Open the Flood Gates!

Look out below! Last week's rain caused a rise in Lake George's water level. This is controlled by flood gates in Ticonderoga where the lake ends, so that the lake rarely gets too high. There is always some water going over the dam because it is spring fed, but when the warning horn sounds, it's time to get to high land right away as the flood gates are opened. The rushing water is spectacular though. I took a long walk down along the La Chute River and all its many waterfalls, as it makes its way down to Lake Champlain. As I was standing on the Alexandria Ave. bridge, I could see the current racing downstream where the bridge makes a choke point.

Then it runs under the bridge and towards the pedestrian bridge and to the flood gates (usually this looks like the above photo).

The flood control gates are open and all that beautiful clear Lake George water heads downhill.  This really bothers Dave because all that water power could be used for electricity. The problem is that it's not always like this.

View from the crest of Lord Howe Street. How long can this wall hold up?

Nothing stands a chance as the water descends. This looks like snow!

Powerful! I don't know how the trees survive.

This is where many people swim and fish when it is calm (that's why they have the warning horns).

Dave and I both have lounged in the area to the right, like a personal hot tub. Not today!

I hiked on the east side of the river and was able to get a close up view of the raging water. The sound is deafening. 

When the water is lower, this becomes a dam, with overflow off to the right.

The LaChute flows right through Ticonderoga and there is a great path along the river.

This is another spot where usually the water is just coming out the overflow.

This thick wall was part of one of the many mills along the waterfront. I noticed that the water coming over the dam actually rose up before tumbling over it.

This is the last of the waterfalls before the LaChute meets Lake Champlain. It is right in downtown Ti, where the paper mill used to be located. It's a good fishing hole and I can launch my kayak at the base of the falls and ride the current down to the big lake (Dave picks me up at the state launch ramp so it's a one way trip).

After reaching my downhill/downstream destination, I had to hike back up this steep hill to get back home. It was well worth it though. What a fantastic scenic tour I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment