Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Hunt For Gators

Yesterday we took a backwaters kayak trip on the north fork of the St. Lucie River. We found a little creek that meandered through the mangroves filled with birdlife, mullets jumping (one fish flew out of the water and right across the bow of my kayak!), and several alligators. We actually didn't expect to find any, although the sign at the Port St. Lucie launch ramp said "Beware of Alligator"...did that mean there was only one? I must have startled that one when there was a huge swoosh right next to me and I just about fell out of my boat...so I told Dave to go first. 😉

Right after that, I saw this baby gator sunning itself on the muddy shore, so maybe it was the mother that surfaced next to me.


The further we went, the narrower the channel became. Then it was Dave's turn to startle a big gator, and it was so fast that unfortunately I couldn't get any photos. Finally we were so closed in, we had to turn around.

What a fun little adventure on a gorgeous cold front day though, and we were definitely isolated but exercising!

No comments:

Post a Comment