Sunday, September 4, 2022

Living on the Edge

Well, sort of, or at least we did for about an hour. We had just finished a really nice kayak trip on Lake Champlain's Kingsland Bay in Vermont. It was a beautiful and hot late summer day. The yaks were loaded in the back of our pickup truck since Dave is working on the fuel pump of the van. As we backed out of our parking spot, I asked Dave if he wanted some of my cold water. He reached for it, and we suddenly started going downhill backwards into an unmarked ditch we didn't even know was there! He tried going forward but the tires just spun. He opened the driver's door, took one look and said, "we're going to need a tow truck." I finally managed to climb up and out of the passenger side door and laughed when I saw the angle we were at. 




We don't have four-wheel drive, but even a 4x4 wouldn't have helped us since only two wheels were on the ground. None of the other vehicles in the parking lot were capable of getting us out of this mess (some people did offer). Our only option was Googling "tow service near me' (thank goodness there was cell service). One name kept coming up as a local salvage yard and tow service, and the owner was willing to come as soon as he dropped off the junk car he had on his flatbed truck. I sat in the shade under a nearby tree while Dave waited on the floorboard of truck, trying to keep it from raising up on the one side any further. The truck arrived within about half an hour and made quick work of pulling us out with big chains. He was so funny and we were all laughing at our predicament. The driver didn't know I was sitting under the tree and told Dave, "We won't tell your wife that this happened because you were looking at the pretty girls on the beach" and I yelled, "Hey, I AM the wife!" I went over to the guys and said it was my fault because I offered Dave water, and the driver said it was because he was looking at the pretty girls, to which I couldn't resist answering, "yes, that's right, he was looking at ME!" 😉 😂 $100 later and we have a great tale to tell. 


Footnote: the rear tire looks bent in the photos, but it is camera lens optical illusion. The only damage we had was a slightly bent driver's side floorboard that Dave has already fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment