Sunday, March 17, 2019

Long Distance Award

Yesterday was Day 1 of the Homer Lowe Regatta for Sunfish, Optis, and 420 one design boats. Last year, Dave and I stood by as a safety boat in Walkabout during the 2 day event that brings in sailors from other islands including Nassau and Freeport. This year, Dave decided to race Sunfish.

We knew the wind would be light, but it was non-existent in the morning. While Dave was out floating around on the course, I decided to take my kayak out for a cruise. I headed to the north end of Elbow Cay to see if I could get close to the race course, but they were a little offshore in the Sea of Abaco, in order to try and get some breeze. When I got to the end of the island, I had to make the decision as to whether to go out to the course or continue north. Gee, that first little rock island off Johnny's Cay didn't look that far away, so off I paddled. What a strange little rock formation when everything else is so flat...and is that an Oyster Catcher on the end?

Yes, and that was a bit odd because we always see them in pairs. You can see the lazy ocean swell breaking on the reef, it was so calm.

There was a southbound freighter, not too far out. I hope the sailboat skipper was looking behind him.
 
Hmmmm, now the main island of Johnny's Cays looked really close, so how could I resist not making it there, just to say I did it.

 Almost there...

I made it and proud of it. 


I walked around and not much has been done to the rehab since we were here last April. The gazebo is gorgeous though. That's where I would like to married (41 years later 😉).

Meanwhile, it looked like the races finally started.

I didn't realize it until I headed back that the wind had picked up just a little, and right from the direction I was headed. No wonder the races started. Hope Town is about 3 miles away...

Who knows, maybe next time I will make it the distance to Sandy Cay or Garden Cay or even Man-O-War!

NOT! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment