Monday, January 11, 2021

Chance Encounter

Today we had a chance encounter with our friends from the Bahamas, Bill and Nan on Notluf. We had trailered the sailboat and kayaks up to Ft. Pierce, and after I helped Dave rig and launch Coquina, I then took off in my kayak. 



We had both set our destination of Faber Cove and when I arrived, I saw Dave's sail not moving and wondered what was up. Then I saw him tied to the back of Notluf and it all made sense. What a great way to catch up on all the news.



As we floated there, dolphins came in to greet us and we also saw them again by the launch ramp. They are so hard to take photos of, but the pelicans showed the way and actually kept landing on top of them, hoping to steal their fish.



We stayed so long chatting that we didn't realize the wind was dying towards late afternoon. That made it easier for me to paddle back to the Jaycee Park launch ramp, but Dave was going slower and slower. 


Since the sun was getting low and I didn't think he would make it back before dark (good thing I had the keys to the van 😉), I paddled back out to see if I could tow him back to the ramp. Instead he had me push him by putting the bow of my yak between the rudder and motor bracket (he may have been wishing he hadn't sold the motor last year...) and then paddling like crazy. It worked fantastic and at times he just coasted along. 


What a perfect ending to this hiatus from the windy and chilly winter weather we have been having lately!




No comments:

Post a Comment