Friday, September 11, 2020

Eagle Eye

Before the big cold front arrived yesterday, we had an amazing kayak trip on Eagle Lake. We started at around 9 AM and for most of the day it was just us two old goats on both parts of the lake (the small Rt. 74 bridge separates the two sections).

As we approached the beach picnic area at the eastern point, I spotted a bald eagle flying from tree to tree. How appropriate considering the lake we were on! When it took off, it startled a loon who started calling and warning its mate, sounding like we were "on Golden Pond." We took a quick break at the beach, but the water and air were too chilly for a swim.

Lunch was at Charles Island, which is abandoned but privately owned, so we stayed right along the shore so we didn't impose...not that there was anyone around to complain anyway. This is the view from the island over to the southern shore and busy Rt. 74. That is Ednet Lodge which my grandfather used to own back in the 1940's and sold in the 60s. It is now going to 'rack and ruin' and makes me sad to see it deteriorating and abandoned.

There is a hole in the rocks at the western end of Charles Island that looks like a heart...

Look who is framed by the heart now, after 42+ years of marriage...

I tried going through the passageway but my kayak was too wide. As I backed out using my hands, I noticed how the granite rock had lots of quartz throughout it.

Although we have kayaked Eagle Lake many times, this was the most memorable trips we have had. "Serenity now!"



No comments:

Post a Comment