Saturday, August 29, 2020

T.O.G. Hike Indian Ladder

Perhaps you noticed at the top of the blog that I have added that "the next chapter in our lives has become the adventures of two old goats" (T.O.G.). Although our big boat cruising has ended and our lives are more routine, we still look forward to reporting more tales....like yesterday's hike on the Helderberg Escarpment's Indian Ladder at Thatcher's Park. The view from the top is spectacular.

But we wanted to go down THERE...

It was a long way to the base, but I was just glad that it wasn't the original ladder! You can click on the photos and hopefully zoom in to read about the trail.



This is an easy hike, although quite muddy from the previous day's rain. However, it is on the edge of the drop-off and there are not even any split rail fences in places. This proved to be tough for my fear of heights, so I made Dave walk next to me on the outside of the skinny trail, with me hanging on to his hand for dear life.


He kept trying to get me to look up at the overhangs but I just couldn't, so I handed him the camera. 

Most of the trail was very interesting though, with two waterfalls that you walked under. One even freezes in the winter.




Crevices and caves...


We walked back up the flight of stairs at the other end of the trail and along the ridge back to the car.

We came across one of the streams that turns into the waterfall. Yes, please don't throw anything over the edge because people like us are down there!

An interesting footnote to this hike is that Dave told me that the Helderbergs is where all the bluestone rocks came from that line our front fence at home. We saw some on the trail but I was good and didn't take it for the fence!



Two old goats survived another adventure during the pandemic!

2 comments:

  1. Around 10,000 years ago that was lakefront property along Lake Albany that stretched from Glens Falls to Poughkeepsie. And, from personal experience, I know the waterfalls freezes in the winter (like a stalactite and a stalagmite)and the trail is very slipping then- that's why its closed in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great blog! I have wanted to visit this area for years. Many years ago we had a family reunion in the park at the top. I have thought about returning to hike the trails and witness the views. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete